Reflections

The number of times I have felt slighted because of my gender has been countless. The number of times my male (and female) counterparts have silenced me, or taken me less seriously, are many. People will not acknowledge a problem that exists, if it does not exist in their world. If they do not experience the slights because they are any combination of rich, white, or male. We have come to a point where people will accept the presence of 'White Privilege' as a concept, but they do not truly believe that their accomplishments are any easier to come by as a result. And they do not care. Why would they when the establishment is in their favour?

I have come to learn many things about being female. I have learnt that some times we play a role in our own destruction. We wait to be rescued, or to be handed a hall pass, because for many years we have not been expected to excel on our own merit. We wait for mentors, without realising that mentors pick people in whom they see something worthwhile. But I have also come to recognise the gross injustice that exists against women. I have learnt to stand up for your woman-kind, sometimes just because she is female. Someone has to do it, and if everyone helps one woman forward, then perhaps there will be enough of us at the top, to change the system. I have learnt to let go of some battles. You can choose to believe that a man you loved has used you, lied to you, left you, or you can hold on to the decent memories (I hope there were some) and move on with your life. No one is more hurt by your rumination than yourself. I have learnt to let go of as many grudges as I can, to laugh more, in the face of injustice, because bitterness will eat you up inside.

I have learnt to appreciate the few people, male or female, people you have met or whose words you have only read, people who inspire you, encourage you, and help you along the way. I am eager to succeed in spite of my femininity. I am resolved to make it there, a better person than I am now. I think if we were to dwell only in the secular, then this is the best goal, the most satisfying goal; to be a decent human being, to have bided our time in the pursuit of goals and to reside in the warm embrace of friends, family and relationships.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz